Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Mental Reconditioning

I could use today's Rest Day to discuss how I recently decided that running is actually a conspiracy cooked up by the sock and underwear manufacturers of the world, but I decided to go a whole different direction ...

The weekend weather looks iffy. Again. And, even though it's Tuesday, iffy weekend forecasts send little jolts to the ol' heart when a long run or event are on deck. In fact, it's been such difficult outdoor running weather for so many weekends in a row, I'm already a little fearful of the weather on the weekend of the Half. This is the kind of mental conditioning that doesn't serve a person very well!

So, instead of my usual stewing and obsessing about weather over which I have no control (I know, productive), this morning, I came up with an alternative plan just in case of event cancellation. (Frankly, it will only be nixed if there's lightening, so this may not be an issue.) Anyway, just in case, I decided that as long as I can acquire my finisher's medal (which I think I could ... hope I could, I mean, I did pay the entry fee ... cha-ching ...) that I'll pick it up and put in the miles here at home.

Can't you just see it? I'm cruising the streets of our city while the Pit Crew shows up at different mile markers to cheer? I already know they'd still have posters and do their usual cheering. Elly would be with them, too, which would be both wonderful and pure torture for her. OR, even better, I could take her on a leg or two of the run! For that matter, the Pit Crewers could join me on different stretches! Okay, this is already sounding like a fantastic plan B! I don't want to have to do it this way, but at least there's a great option!

And (the ideas are endless!), given I'd be by myself (seriously, picture that), I'd either look like I was the very fastest -- way out in front! -- or very slowest participant in whatever event everyone else seemed to miss.

I was thinking about this whole idea when poking around on Facebook just a minute ago and stumbled upon this:
That's pretty good advice any time! Here's to the best, multiple-path laid plans and mental reconditioning! And, I'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment