Monday, March 11, 2013

Shouldn't I Be Concerned With Warmer Temperatures By Now?

Holy freezing temperatures, this morning's run was a cold one!!! I really wasn't expecting that! The air was 26 which isn't that cold to some of us when running, but the wind chill is what got me. And, it certainly was windy. See?
She's like a weather vane ...
... with a bit of a 'tude ...
I think I was so anxious to run outside that I didn't stop and really think about the weather. And, by the time I realized what was what, well, it was a little too late to do much different than just go!

I even forgot to check out the sidewalks on the route to make sure they were clear enough as a good stretch of them are required for safety. Fortunately, this from two weeks ago ...
... was this today:
I got an all-clear on this stretch -- whew!
Hey ... get off my sidewalk ...
I was running with the wind to my back at this point and had yet to feel the full impact of that whipping wind. It didn't take long to see what had been going on around me, though!
Oh, swell ... things were starting to ice!
And, before I knew it, little pellets were hitting my face and snowflakes were drifting! Elly, who acted like nothing less than an obstinate teenager on this run, didn't seem to notice:
On her head and on her back -- snow!
I, however, noticed this little nugget:
Oddly, this nickel was the same color as the street. It blended
right on in there, but it was no match for my radar! Into my
pocket it went alongside the penny I found two miles back!
Evidently, the recent snow plows did not take notice of area parking space bumper-curb-thingies:
I don't think that's right ...
For as much as I wanted to get outside, I was not sorry when these miles were finished! Elly and I wasted no time getting ourselves in the warm car!
Elly reminds us all that she can look at the camera now
because the run is behind her. Elly and her rules ...
Things are not ideal for this round of training from weather to wondering if my recent foot soreness is product of too much time on the treadmill or that my shoes aren't handling the longer runs like I think they should. (Experimentation on deck with this weekend's long run -- because why not dink around when in the home stretch?!) But, the show will go on with or without me, so perseverence is key !

Also key to success? Taking time to chill. That's what's on deck for tomorrow, so we'll check in then!

No comments:

Post a Comment