Sunday, November 27, 2011

Running Pals

So, the other day, just after the Turkey Trax run, I was getting out of my car, and my lower back just seized up. I don't know what muscle I irritated, but it really hurt, and I've needed to pamper it since then. Fortunately, it feels markedly better every day. Unfortunately, I think it's going to take some time to get all the way better. (This helps explain my ability to embrace yesterday's sudden change in plans ...)

I was determined to run today if I could, and it felt that I could as long as I was smart about it. In short, I knew I needed a pacer to keep me steady no matter what. Elly, for as slow as she can go, was not a good option in the event that she decided to suddenly stop for a sniff or potty break only to jerk the leash, therefore, jar my back. However, her setting a pace for me was my original secret to success. So, I went back to the drawing board ... pacer needed ... Enter: Aaron!

Previously, I mentioned Aaron had cartilage transplanted in his knee. Given the impact our knees absorb just by living, you can imagine they take a whole lot by running. Therefore, to preserve his knee, he has been strongly advised to not run, but he is free and clear to walk as much and as fast as he wants. He did so fabulous at the Turkey Trax, I thought it wise (and fun!) to ask if he would be my pacer this morning. Fortunately for me, he readily agreed!
So, we got up, dressed for the 37 degree weather (awesome for me! not awesome for Aaron!) and hit the road. It was so much FUN! To be honest, years ago when we'd run together, I hated it because he always smoked me without even trying. I could never keep up therefore did not count it as running together. But, now, he has a controlled pace, and I have no desire to hit breakneck speed, so we met in the middle and were a fabulous pair!

This match-up came at a perfect time. I've been pushing away a lot of stuff in my head lately with regard to my own pace and what I "should" or "should not" be pushing myself to do, and this morning was very re-grounding for me. I've always enjoyed my pace because it's what makes the whole venture fun. If I focus too much on "figuring out" what I'm "supposed" to be doing, it gets complicated and burdensome ... and, for what? Lately, though, I've allowed those voices to re-enter my head only to learn, yet again, they're deterimental to my own goals.

One of my goals is to make running a lifelong endeavor for me; another is to be able to share it with Aaron. This morning showed me that I can have both.

I win!

And, by the way, I won double this morning:
It's actually more fun finding coins when someone is with you to share in the celebration! What a great way to cap off the Thanksgiving weekend! Running with Elly and Jacques tomorrow will be fun ... but I'm already looking forward to heading out with Aaron again!

No comments:

Post a Comment