Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Making It Mine

If anyone were to ask me if I was into exercise at any time growing up, my immediate and sincere answer would be, "No." In fact, I'd likely add the statement that I never even did it.

But, that's really not true. The truth of the matter is that from the age of 8 'til my early 30s, I played soccer every chance I could. I swam from the day the pool opened to the day it closed. I played high school sports (even a volleyball bench warmer goes through the same practice rigors as the starters ...), and I was active in intramurals in college. But, none of that seemed like exercise (um, except maybe the volleyball practices ...). It was just fun.

I got to thinking about this today on this very cold Rest Day. I was happy to take the day off from running, but I also look forward to the morning tomorrow. I'm not so much looking forward to the run itself; it's more that I'm actually looking forward to:
She's hoping it's not Rest
Day. But, it is. She's also
pretending to not look at
me, but I know better.
  • being out with my dog
  • watching Jacques bounce on my dog
  • wearing my fun purple striped gloves
  • possibly finding treasures
  • the time to just be for a while
  • taking pictures of random stuff
  • keeping the dog's toenails trimmed
I realize the health benefits are plentiful, but that has never before been a driving force for me to exercise, and it's not what I first think of now. It's about the fun as I've defined and incorporated it into my world. It's totally my way! I get to do it at my own pace without fear of "qualifying" or "not starting" (take that warm volleyball bench). I've bought a variety of gloves and ear warmers for different moods and holidays for the express purpose of wearing when I run. I've seen parts of my city to which I've never really paid attention, and I've enjoyed the new-to-me details (except for the dead, squished details; those never excite me). I bought a stuffed jockey to ride on my dog for crying out loud! FUN! And -- my favorite -- I can see where this activity has potential to sustain me for decades to come. (Wait, did I just say 'me'? I mean me and my new running pal!)

I've mentioned before that my Dad always used to tell me to figure out how to put the fun into work, otherwise, it's not going to be there. Clearly, I took that to heart here! See you after my morning outing!

No comments:

Post a Comment