Friday, February 15, 2013

Life Lessons

After my run this past Wednesday, I stopped at the store because I was suddenly inspired to make one of the kids' favorite Valentines treats (and, the day before seems reasonable to finally think about that, does it not?). See if you can guess what that particular treat is. And, put on your thinking cap because it's a tough one:
This is all I had when I went to the cashier.
I gave her the same quiz I just gave you.
For real.
I am awesome at making the crispy treats. When I was in Brownies, we had a "cookie can" everyone took turns bringing to the weekly meetings filled with whatever treat their mom put in it. One of the girls' moms made killer crispy treats. They were big and almost fluffy and super delicious. It took me many batches to figure out how to make them as good as I remember, but, yet again, perseverance pays off, and I can make 'em awesome!

They're also super yum with a chocolate covered strawberry from your Valentine on the side:
These berries are To. Die. For. My Valentine gives me a stash
for myself and a smaller stash to share each year. Mmmm ...
Speaking of crispy treats, do you know that when I was in my young 20s, I thought that because marshmallows and Rice Krispies were both fat free that you could pretty much eat as much of it as you wanted without paying any kind of nutritional price? ("Hey, Nancy ... ever heard of the following word? Cal-o-rieeeeeees." Whoops.) I was mighty dense about nutrition as a whole until I was wandering somewhere around my 30s. I admit it.

I can also admit that I was a terrible, terrible Girl Scout. It's highly possible -- but, with no actual proof, no one really knows -- that I might have possibly not filled out my cookie order form correctly so as to earn receive the coveted cookie badge.

There are very few things in my life where I've not gone full force and seen through for at least a respectable amount of time if not 'til the end. I'm just sayin' Girl Scouts was the exception to this life pattern.

Fortunately, I've come a long way since my Girl Scout mishaps and crispy treat ignorance. I'm now very in tune with nutrition as a whole as well as, specifically, when calories are friends or foes. Also, thankfully, my Girl Scout cookie badge blunder is another of those life lessons helping me to understand that my personal journey, accomplished in a way that reflects the best of who I want to be, is way more important than a prize dangled in from of me.

Although, I do love getting my Half medals. After I run all of the 13.1 miles!

The morning run's a long one! I'll check in after tomorrow's 7!

No comments:

Post a Comment