Thursday, February 21, 2013

Just Beat It!

The put snow in the forecast for us today. And, I believed them. No one could seem to decide what time it was really starting, though (could be 5 a.m., could be 7 a.m., could be 9 a.m. ... makes a difference when you need to get yourself back home!). I checked at 5 a.m., and it hadn't yet started, so I procrastinated my morning just a wee bit.

When I finally motivated myself to be up and dressed to run, my very good friend was patiently waiting for me at the door complete with the visual cue of where she wanted to go (thanks for that):
"Patient is a relative word, mommy, but
I'll take it because it makes me sound good."
We were out of the house in the nick of time!
Check out what's on her head!! Not just
snowflakes ... pretty sizable snowflakes
for the onset! This snow front had promise!
Merely feet away from the house, there was already enough of
a dusting to see tire tracks!
It wasn't yet easy to see the snow coming
down, but there was enough to blow around.
There was also enough wind to make Elly's ears go crazy!
I love what cold weather does to spots I might otherwise overlook!
For a short run, I was pretty achy. In fact, I'd not felt that strained in years and was wondering what was making me feel like this was my first time running. Ever. I finally figured out I was feeling the after affects of hauling firewood yesterday in anticipation of today's snow. 'Nothing like a little unplanned cross training to compliment -- or otherwise make me feel like a wuss -- a run! Yeowch!! But, I'll take it to bring on the snow!! (I also applaud those who do pretty maxed out cross/strength training along with whatever else they do. If that were me, I'd just wear myself out and have to battle Elly for a spot on the couch.)

Running in the snow drifting down was just peaceful. Fortunately for Elly, at the time we ran, it wasn't coming down so much that it was a bother to her (by getting the diva wet). Unfortunately for me, that left room for her to be a huge bother to me. The girl does an outstanding job of solidifying her position on the couch while I don't invite her on long runs. I love her, but too many miles of annoying isn't good for anyone.
"It would be good for me, mommy."
We got home not a moment too soon ... we stepped on the front porch, and the sleet started!
Here it comes!! YAHOO!!
With the run behind me and two Rest Days in front of me, I was ready for the snow fun!! I'm having a hard time picturing how to route 8 miles for the weekend, but I'll deal with that later on Saturday. For now, we've had a blast! AND, you've seen my hair do all kinds of crazy stuff from running, but you've not yet seen this:
Those are icicles, baby!!
I'm pretty sure between preparing for the snow, running and playing in the snow, I'm going to be exhausted by the beginning of next week ... but, it's going to be totally worth it!! I'll see you tomorrow on Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment