Monday, February 4, 2013

I Love When Strategies Pay Off

I was totally right yesterday ... I was very ready for a run today! Running is uncomplicated and freeing in many ways as I'm basically not accessible to others and have nothing to do but think -- or not. It's a simple venture, really, and that was the best way I could have started a Monday!

A simple activity does not come without some sort of planning, though, and yesterday's requirement was making sure our Super Bowl indulgences didn't tank my run before it even began with bad fuel. There are runs I'm willing to sacrifice for sure (the days after Christmas and New Year's Eve), but, otherwise, I'd like to keep my fuel in decent check as it really (really) does make a difference in the morning!

Earlier in the week, Aaron and I discussed Super Bowl indulgences, and while we both wanted something fun, we knew we could-not-should-not replicate our NYE appetizer dinner (unless, of course, it was for New Year's Eve. Which it wasn't.). So, we came up with a plan that became my personal survival guide to not tank the run before it began:
Step One: A big salad took front and center of the meal.
Step Two: We decided on two, boxed fried appetizers and
split them among the four of us. (That's a 7" lunch plate if
you're wondering.) I had two of the ravioli but gave the other
three away because they weren't good enough to be worth
eating -- a practice that once didn't exist in my world.
Step Three: I made guacamole and, what we call, zippy dip*,
and, for those, I used two strategies. First, I put them on my
plate so I could see what I was eating instead, and I broke the
chips into smaller pieces. That way, the chips not only went
farther, but I could also taste more dip, less chip that way.
(I recently looked at how few chips were in a serving; that's
the kind of news that just makes you say, "Huh?!")
I have to report that this plan totally and completely worked in terms of being very satisfied while keeping things in check. Not only did I not feel full and dragging this morning from eating too much of the fun/not enough of the good ('been there, huh?!), but there was a spring in my step all the way through the end of today's run that simply doesn't happen when the fuel's not right. Booyah!

Elly had a fabulous run as well:
"I can't look at you, mommy. I'm guarding
our fabulous, 5-cent find!"
That's miles in the books, money in the Food Bank bank and a Rest Day on the horizon! I'll see you then!

* Zippy Dip recipe!
1 can cream of chicken soup, lite if desired
1/2 Cup of sour cream (which I swap for Greek yogurt -- you'll never know the difference!!)
3/4 Cup salsa
2 Cups shredded cojack cheese, lite if desired

Mix it all up in a microwave-save container, heat for 4 minutes, stir again and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment