Saturday, November 17, 2012

Trial Run

Okay, I had a fabulous conversation today with an old friend. It's the college friend I ran into at the Roots'n'Blues Half (2011) whom I'd not seen since college. I discovered at that race that he, too, picked up running recently in his world. It also turned out he's one of those who picked it up and ran as fast and as far as he possibly could with it versus, well, my journey. Our races that day were not going to be the same nor have our running paths been since.

I periodically run into him after weekend runs. I continue to expertly jog along, and he keeps adding to his progressive repertoire. I haven't heard him utter the words Half and Marathon together in the same sentence for about a year. But, I have heard the words "Ultra," "Marathon," and "No big deal to go out and ..." preceding "... run 21 miles." Yeah, we're not in the same category at all! 

Me and The Belly post Roots'n'Blues.
I somehow survived that run!
So, what's so fabulous about that? I'm glad you asked because there are a couple of things. First, I fully acknowledge that 3 years ago, I don't think I could have looked him in the eye and told him I run. I would have been way too intimidated to feel I had a thing to add to such a conversation. But, I have a better perspective now and get that there is no comparison to any part of he and I: baseline ability; lifestyle; available time chosen or designed; desire; goals ... nothing is comparable. Zero.

Therefore, why compare?! Instead, from where I sit, I enjoy hearing what's he is up to, and it's fun to cheer him. It was also fun to hear Aaron greet him today as, "Crazy Running Guy," but that's beside the point.

The other fabulous factor is his attitude toward me. Clearly, he is in another league, but he doesn't act like it. He owns what he's wanting and applauds whatever it is I'm up to. It's as simple as that. And, in my opinion, as it should be. Universal support. Whee!!

In the meantime, today I gave an outing a trial run, so to speak, because I really want to join the Family Run tomorrow! Although clearly in a recovery mode with more drainage going on than I care to discuss (and you really don't want to hear about even though I basically just said everything there is to say about it), I felt much better today and wanted to take a family walk to see how the systems were firing:
That's all 5 of us one way or the other!
Here's a better one of the dog pretending she's a World Class Gymnast performing her balance beam routine:
She loves her balancing act. I do, too, because it scrapes those
toenails! She's in high need with a week on the couch!
The walk was a big success! Physically, I wasn't tired at all which was my main concern. A run tomorrow is likely going to make me want to go right back to sleep, but that will be due to continued recovery and not due to lingering sickies. Hooray!

It was also a success in this way:
While this money doesn't go into the Snoopy Food Bank
collection (as it's not on-the-run money ... ha! sounds like I'm
running from the law ...), that is about to change ...
I'll give the cha-ching run down tomorrow as the Food Bank's big collection drive is this coming Tuesday!! I'm glad to have 2 more runs in front of me for the final scavange before turning it in! Not being able to scope for change was the only real let down of not running this past week, so I'm glad to have a chance to get back at it! See you after the morning Family Run -- finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment