Saturday, November 24, 2012

Totally Real

Last night's decision to make today a Rest Day was a good one, and I took full advantage of the morning! For the first time in months, we all slept in!! Ahhh ... that was awesome! I think we're still digesting Thanksgiving if I'm being honest!!

Last night I also I kept thinking about my conversation with Mary Kate and how she's working her Half into her life. And, then I'd think about the struggles she and I have experienced with regard to comparing ourselves to others to determine if what we're doing with running "counts" as being a "real" runner (if you've been there, you get what I just said). All I can say is, to me, there is nothing more real than the balancing act performed by Mary Kate and others of us who totally get we're not heading for the Olympics any time soon. (I mean, ever.) Even though we don't podium place in the race, we also don't "just" cross the finish line. "Just" crossing the finish line doesn't cut the mustard for me; It doesn't get much more real than to finish, period, no matter who you are or how you got there.

The fact is: You got there.

Now shift gears with me because I must share a recent LAUGH OUT LOUD viewing around here. The young Crewers love the updated Looney Tunes shows (which can be hysterical by the way ... I don't know if the originals were necessarily broke, but I do love how they fixed 'em!), and in the recent, "The Stud, the Nerd, the Average Joe and the Saint" episode, we follow Daffy Duck as he trains for a marathon ...

My laugh-out-loudest moment was when Daffy lies about his nutrition to his trainer, Speedy Gonzoles, including proclaiming how he replenishes himself throughout the day with protein bars ... known to the rest of us as a tube of cookie dough! HA! To dream!
When I was really little, I used to pretend chocolate syrup was
medicine -- who knew Daffy and I were kindered spirits?
I loved Daffy's exaggerated form:
His being-a-big-weenie noises were awesome, too!
His moment of exhaustion 10 feet from the start was also fabulous:
'Been there, pal ... although I think I got a little farther!
Runner or not, the episode is excellent. It's staying on the dvr for a while!

The rest of the day holds a fire in the fireplace and decking of the halls!! See you tomorrow after an earlier morning ... it's Family Run day after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment