Monday, November 26, 2012

The Would've Been Winner

On this morning's run, I couldn't help but think about the fact that there are people deep into their training for upcoming Half and Full Marathons. I'm talking, for the Half runners as I know nothing about training for a Full, that at this point, they're in the double-digit long run miles. Think about that for a minute -- they celebrated Thanksgiving on Thursday, then they had to run many miles on the weekend -- Not the three miles I drug myself through yesterday nor the four I did today where I still feel those wonderful post-holiday residuals. Double digits.

I tip my hat to these people. And, I am thankful the big runs in which I participate fall pretty much in the middle of nothing on the calendar. Excellent!

Today's run felt pretty good all things considered. Elly was all kinds of excited to be out there today and stayed ahead of me the whole way. Clearly, she didn't have a holiday feast plus leftovers, just sayin'. It was 33 degrees and sunny which was perfect weather for running and finding a BB but not for money finding. Drat!

I did spy with my little eye this, though:
Our family plays the Slug Bug game full force which makes seeing one with no one around to punch is always a drag. Seriously, all four of us have that same, "Hey! Aw, crap!" emotion when we are by ourselves and see a VW Bug or a PT Cruiser because we added "PT Punch" to the game. We also made it so the classic Bug makes you immune from being on the receiving end of any punching for that round. We are awesome. Oh, we're also the only four allowed to play to ensure there is no misunderstanding between friends. Just seemed wise.

Well, I would have been the big winner here had everyone been with me. But, with only Elly for company -- who is not a participant -- I just enjoyed the rest of the run.

It's funny the things you think about when you run ... like, "Man! No one to hit!" I'll see you tomorrow on Rest Day with, hopefully!, more peaceful thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment