Friday, October 28, 2011

Channeling My Inner Albert

How loud and how proud can we say, "GO CARDS!!!" Let's hear it for making this World Series exciting!!! It was so much fun to watch Game 6 last night and see a team that was counted out from even making it to the World Series to pull off a huge win last night!! They weren't even considered prior to the playoffs as being able to get this far! It seems the they weren't counted out by those that really mattered ... themselves! Way to dig deep!!

Okay, so there I was on the couch under a blanket with Elly's head in my lap watching the game (ahhh ... if that's not the picture of relaxation, I'm not sure what is ...). It was late in the game, Albert Pujols was just at bat, and he made it to first. As the cameras scanned the infield before focusing on the next batter, one of the commentators said the following: "Pujols isn't the fastest runner, but he's a savvy runner."

Savvy. I like that.

Speed with regard to running is something with which I had to come to terms immediately upon taking this up as a serious effort. The fact is, I'm not speedy (and can't remember a time in my life when I ever was), but running and entering races inherently lends itself to the question: "How fast?" This was a big mental hurdle to figure out. Ultimately, I realized that, for me, running couldn't be about "How fast." It had to be about "How smart."

It seems Mr. Pujols and I have something in common! Well, I'll go on thinking so; he might beg to differ! And, in the meantime, when I'm hitting a lull in a long run, I think I'll channel my inner Albert. A savvy puppy pace. I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment