Sunday, October 9, 2011

Brain On Overdrive

Even on Rest Days like today, I find myself thinking about running a lot (a statement I never thought I'd make). Being a handful of years into it now translates into being comfortable enough in my own running shoes to just go and not worry about things like ... what do other people think? ... what should I be doing in comparison to others? ... how good am I? ... or aren't I? ... blah ... blah ... blah ... But, once I crossed the finish line of last month's Half and knew I wanted to keep running, I have found myself wanting to make a little more of a study of what I'm doing and what I want from it. (seriously ... never thought I'd say such things!)

To that end, the family had some down time today where I brought along some of my new reads:
There is irony in the fact that I was reading about exercise at McDonald's ...
But, there's a game to play! (and we won a couple of food items today ...
Good for me that they are food items I don't like! I'm still crossing my
fingers for a Wal-Mart gift card!)
I've mentioned before my enjoyment of Runner's World, and I'm just now learning about Self as participants in September's Komen run also received a complimentary subscription. Hooray!

What is clear to me is that I have a lot to learn, but I want to learn it. So, that's good. But, what's also clear is that I need to pay closer attention to what I'm reading because I confused some advice I'd just read on Friday, and it resulted in a couple of unnecessarily tired, achy legs last night after yesterday's long run. I can't remember the last time I was achy in the evening after 7 miles! Just when I was ready to blow off my newfound advice column, I reread it today ... whoopsie, seems I was the tool ...

Check it out, I also read a super-cool article about the New York City marathon, and in it, they had a picture of people who were walking in the race. THAT'S RIGHT, even super-elite people take walk breaks. I tend to not let myself. I never let myself when I first started because of my own self-imposed stigma ... but, I'm rethinking that strategy ... (insert relieved smile of a new possibility ...)

So, I have lots of things to read and think about. Tomorrow's run might allow for thinking time. Or, it might not. For all of the plans I can devise, I have no plan to decide ahead of time what my brain is going to want to do! Especially on a Monday for crying out loud! I'll let you know what happens after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment