Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Slow and Steady ... In Everything

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 999.6 (running: 809.4; walking: 41.2; biking: 144.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $11.41
 
2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 999.6 Aaron: 725.2 (b: 639.6; w: 79.6)  Elly: 297.6 Total: 2022.4

So, this sentiment is out there, today from Run the Edge but it's somewhere at any given time:
It makes me giggle. And, I've been there in terms of not stopping just short of a distance, and making sure my run gets to that certain mile (for sure during training times). On occasion, I run a distance just to get my personal odometer to a nice, round number rather than leaving just a smidge hanging.
 
Clearly, today was not that day.
 
I knew our route would take us to four-tenths of a mile under my 1,000-mile movement goal. I even knew how to easily stick in three-tenths of a mile. But, that last tenth required me to actually remap and rework the route. And, I chose simply not to. There are other days to run, and there were other things I wanted to do than map a run to hit a goal I'm going to hit the next time I go out.
 
So, there.
 
We had a great run, my girl and I ...
Physically speaking, we had a stellar first mile, which is highly unusual, and, then we settled in to our normal pace and actually enjoyed the rest of it! I, for one, could not have kept up our out-of-the-gate pace for the duration, but I went ahead with it because I hate that first mile and wanted it over with. We had to stop at a traffic signal right when it was complete, and we took that opportunity to hugely congratulate ourselves for our Olympian performances. And, then I told Pit Crew #2 that that was that for me in terms of notable achievement for the rest of the run.

She understands.

There has been a lot going on around here with the excitement of Christmas coming, but that doesn't mean everything is in order! I used that first mile to engage in my morning prayers -- most of which were centered around letting me see what needs to be done at a pace that retains its joy. That's all I really need. That and a run every other day!

Keep seeking peace first during the holidays, and I'll check in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment