Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Just Keep Thinking ... Just Keep Thinking ... Just Keep Thinking, Thinking, Thinking ... What Do You Do, You Think ...

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 987.4 (running: 801.4; walking: 41.2; biking: 144.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $6.33
 
2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 987.4 Aaron: 721.2 (b: 639.6; w: 79.6)  Elly: 289.6 Total: 1998.2

-- 16.8 miles remain in our 2,015 in 2015 Challenge --

I just zipped through my Facebook feed and caught a post from one of the running pages I've liked asking what goals we've made for 2016 ...

Right now, my biggest goal for 2016 is to just get there. I'll figure the rest out when the calendar page turns.

I don't think that's the response the moderator is looking for. But, it's true. Frankly, his post darn-near made me hyperventilate. I don't think he was after that response, either, if I were to guess!

It's quite possible that post hit me smack in the face for a few reasons. First, the entire week remains up in the air with jury duty not just lingering, but I know if there's another trial this week, I'm getting the call based on my number. And, it being only Tuesday, I'm kind of just waiting and seeing which day, not if. And, second, for whatever reason, I was very focused on my mileage goal while I was out running this morning. I was really absorbing that I just hit 800 miles this morning when my year-end goal was 900.

I wasn't as much bothered by it as just getting totally on board. The fact is, had we had weather allowing me to run outside every day I wanted to do so, I would have hit the running goal (bike miles: running miles = 3:1). However, I would not have hit the combined movement mile of 1,000. So, either way you look at it, I came up short. I do know I did everything I could when I could which included making my life as a whole balanced. I can't substantiate every day or every run (and, why would I want to do such a tedious thing?), but I can see the bigger picture of this year. I admit, though, that I don't tend to make goals I don't end up achieving, so there was definitely a much bigger message in all of this that, should I learn it, it will mean way more than hitting that arbitrary number ever would.
And, that's why I keep thinking about it. It's not in any way to beat myself up or question my efforts; it's much more about what I can get out of -- what can be learned from -- the fact that it didn't happen. I know I can overthink things, but I really like what I ultimately uncover. I know my life is richer for it, so I'll keep scraping away until I get it. Numbers, themselves, be damned.

A lot of cool milestones are coming, though, not to mention actually rolling that running mileage of mile to 800 today (yay!). That's not anything to sneeze at, so I should really at give it at least a little attention. Then, Elly is about to turn hers to 300 (bam!), and the Change Hounds are within days of hitting our combined movement goal (wahoo!). AND, before the end of the year, the family is doing one more virtual challenge, and I'm pretty stoked about it! Frankly, I'm more excited about that than any of the rest of these numbers! I'll reveal the incentives once everyone around here finds out about it!

In the meantime, before you think I only look to the ground while running (which, in fairness, is the majority of where I look), I do look around enough to eventually spot something new. Like this:
I've gone by that tree, literally, hundreds of times and never noticed how wonky the spots are where the limbs have been pruned. It makes for the perfect climbing wall for those squirrels, one of which is not only visible there in the middle, but it was also standing its ground incessantly chirping at me and Elly. (Wow ... be tough, little squirrel, 20 feet in the air with two beings who aren't even close to you.) It was a cool little visual; I thought I'd share!
So, tomorrow: I have no idea. I'll either be running or performing my civic duty, so I'll check in with the outcome! In the meantime, take a minute to two to reflect and see what you might otherwise miss with a cursory glance. You might be amazed at what you uncover about yourself ...

No comments:

Post a Comment