Thursday, September 10, 2015

Choices

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 742.2 (running: 565.8; walking: 31.6; biking: 144.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $62.79

2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 742.2 Aaron: 466.3 (b: 413.1; w: 53.2)  Elly: 169.9 Total: 1378.4


I was kind of tired in the middle of today's run. That tends to happen if I run three days in a row, so it wasn't unexpected. I tried to muffle the, "I'm tired" banter going through my head by over-powering it with messages of, "Well, you are the one who chose to schedule it this way! You're choice, baby ..."

But, first, let me take a
selfie ... 
It was my choice, indeed, and I made the most of it. And, then the topic of choices made me think all the way back to when I was about to give birth to Pit Crew #2; they did a last-minute ultrasound to find out she was breech and, even better, in the worst breech position possible to actually deliver naturally. I didn't remember much from childbirth classes, but I did equate breech automatically equaled C-section. I kind of liked the simplicity of that. Anyway, The doctor reported the baby's position, complete with a quick opinion of just how difficult the birthing process was going to be for baby and me, and then he and the nurses just stood there looking at me. Not one of them moved. Finally, I said, "Is someone waiting for me to say something?" and they were all, "Um, yeahhhh ..." totally-thought-it-was-assumed consent for a C-section. Then they all scurried around like a busy ant colony trying to get me to surgery before the accident on the highway arrived and took away the anesthesiologist. (Yes, let's hurry ...) While in scurry mode, I said to one of the nurses, "Huh. I just assumed I didn't have a choice," to which she immediately (read: In cover her ass mode) said, "Oh, you always have a choice."
which is when I gave my

That's what I spent a lot of my time thinking about while out and about today. Choices. And, when you're conscious of making them. And the gamut of importance they span. And how many times we think we don't have a choice. And how many times we convince ourselves of that.

Ultimately, I was glad to make the choice to run today. It wasn't as spectacular as giving birth, but it, too, still had a great outcome. And, tomorrow, we rest ...!

No comments:

Post a Comment