Friday, October 9, 2015

Will Run For Light

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 819.7 (running: 640.4; walking: 34.5; biking: 144.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $72.87

2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 819.7 Aaron: 533.3 (b: 470.6; w: 62.7)  Elly: 216.2 Total: 1569.2

In an effort to take care of the business that actually matters, let's start by saying HAPPY FRIDAY!!
The Snoopy Facebook page knows how to perfectly punctuate a day!!

So, I woke up this morning and was pretty sure I heard it raining. That would normally mean I mini celebration that I didn't have to get up to run, but that wasn't the case today. I didn't even reach out to pet Elly when she came in to greet me because she'd just been outside, and, if her head was wet, I'd know it really was raining. I'd gone to sleep early enough to not wake up in too-tired-to-move pain (you know how that is), and I was ready to roll.

While Aaron confirmed it was, in fact, raining, he also said it was very light. I was convinced that meant it was either staying that way or passing through (based on nothing but my own desire to be outside), so I got ready to go.

Street lights bouncing off the wet
pavement. The green was my fave.
The thing about running just before the sun comes up and with clouds overhead is that it's dark. Really, quite dark. Usually, by the time I'm past the first mile, the sun is awake enough that I can see everything. With the clouds? Not so much. The light seemed to be about a mile behind me today. I normally wouldn't mind, however, it was about to make it difficult to find change in my normal hot spot. (Difficult but not impossible; I found a penny in the dark on a walk last night. Aaron's not even impressed anymore.) Not wanting to start my day with unnecessary, avoidable difficulty, I tagged on another mile to give the light time to permeate some of the clouds.

My delay paid off both in money found and additional distance. Besides, the light was just enough to show you that this is still here from yesterday ...
Yeah, that's a pizza under a car. There was more of it there yesterday. It's yet another item that would be added to the potential, forthcoming Crap For Dinner Found Running column.

Today was chillier than I expected, but I'm glad I didn't know ahead of time because I likely would have overthought what to wear and gone too warm. Shorts and short sleeves are perfect for me when it's 53 and I'm running. My sleepy, morning brain doesn't necessarily translate 'every day' vs. 'running' requirements and desires when it comes to clothing, so I often regret the wardrobe selection by the first mile. Today's choices made with no consideration for anything actually paid off -- as long as I kept moving. Once I stopped, well, I was a bit chilly!

In other positive pay-off news, I went to mapmyrun.com to double check last night's walking route before logging it, and I decided to double check my 4- and 5-mile routes. It turns out they are both actually longer than I originally thought! The 5-miler is only 2 tenths of a mile longer (run it 5 times, though, and that's another mile), but the 4-miler is 4.6 miles! SCORE!! I went back through my runs since August and adjusted my mileage (and, Elly's too!). I'm reasonably certain this adjustment could be made for many since the beginning of the year, but I know exactly what I've done the last two months and want to keep my records as accurate as possible. I'd much rather under report than overshoot it! The overall adjustment wasn't huge, but every step makes a difference!

Whew. Nice to take care of that and get it all settled. Hey ... isn't this why athletes have trainers ...?
"Yes, mommy, but those trainers can use a pen ..."
The day has stayed overcast and cool which seems the perfect day to catch up and clean up the loose ends of the week before kicking off the weekend!! Wrap up your Friday just right, and I'll check in over the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment