Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Running Around In My Head

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 835.9 (running: 656; walking: 34.5; biking: 144.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $74.01

2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 835.9 Aaron: 536.3 (b: 470.6; w: 65.7)  Elly: 220.8 Total: 1593.4

This has been a fun way to start my mornings for the past couple of weeks:
They're just up there smiling at me before the sun comes up. It's pretty fantastic in person.

So, I realized a few things on my outing today. They don't necessarily go together, but that's how my brain works when I'm out there. Here's the rundown:
  • I did not congratulate myself nor otherwise even acknowledge the fact that September marked the 8-year mark for my running adventures. Eight. I would have never guessed it would stick this long. I seem to have implemented it the right way for myself!
  • If I've been running for 8 years, that means Elly is 9 years old as we adopted her when she was already a year old. She's 9, but I've been thinking she was 8. I do that to people, too. Shoot, I do it to myself. "How old are you, Nancy?" "Uhhhhhh ..."
  • My running shoes need to be replaced. My legs are hurting, and it's the kind of hurt that only comes from worn out shoes. Fortunately, I have a pair ready for me in my closet. I have to duct tape the toe part from the underside to protect what is already breaking, but they'll work 'til the end of the year when I need to have a new pair ready for training time!
  • I'm still teetering on deciding how much I want to hit the 900-running-miles mark for the end of the year. At the rate I'm going, I'll be close (within 50 miles). I'm not sure if 'close' will be satisfying or downright annoying. I still have thinking to do there.
  • Some people are awesome at crosswalks and allow for pedestrians to have the right of way. Others are simply not awesome.
Amidst my very superficial thoughts (that I'm even awake much less moving at that hour is enough of an expenditure ...), I found enough money to throw the Food Bank tally over the $74 mark. So far, that's between 888 and 1110 meals the Food Bank can provide. Buh-BAM! That doesn't count the money Aaron and I have found just walking around! With about 5 weeks 'til donation time, I'm pretty stoked at what the totals will be!

Shifting gears to the inside world, I had to share this as you know I like to pass along things that simplify my life ... especially in the kitchen! Okay: Did you know you can cook chicken wings in the crockpot!?!?!?
Tonight's dinner just got underway! In five hours, those babies will be cooked without having to blaze up the oven! That's 28-32 wings in a 5-quart crockpot, and there's nothing else in there. No sauce, no nothing. That makes for an easy clean-up as well as saves so much sauce that would otherwise just sit in the crock. They'll cook on low for 5 hours. After, I'll put them on a pan, slather them with some hot sauce before broiling them on low for about 4 minutes. Then, presto, super-easy dinner!

I. Love. Easy. I pass this along because I have mentioned cooking them this way to a couple of people who had never thought to do so even though I'm usually the one way, way behind the culinary times.

With that, I'm off to tackle Wednesday! I have a handful of days off from running as the wonky of the week goes in to overdrive by tomorrow morning! Have a great rest of your week, and may you manage it well! I'll check in on the other side of the craze!!

No comments:

Post a Comment