Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Snowflakes

(snowflake source)
There's a radio host whom I often hear refer to teenagers as 'delicate snowflakes'. Yes, he is, most definitely, taking a crack at his perception of how teenagers today behave and what they expect as compared to back in his day. Even though I don't really care for this guy, I find myself agreeing with the majority of his observations. My bet is he'd be on board with the rant I'm about to launch. I'll try to be brief.

I think I've heard the last boo-hoo list of reasons kids are skipping school I can stomach. In the last two weeks alone, I have been educated as to the many, many woeful stories about why the little snowflakes around my kids can't seem to complete an entire day of school. Those stories include:
  • That part of the day is going to be a waste of my time. Besides, I'm a senior.
  • My arm is healing from dislocation, so there's no point in going to half of my classes.
  • I'm technically (and, legitimately) excused for the whole day anyway, so why go back? Besides, I don't want to take my test that day.
  • I'm also technically (and, legitimately) excused for the whole day anyway. And, I have prom this weekend.
  • After I take that test, I'm just going to be brain dead, so I'm leaving.
There is not one of those excuses I've made up or exaggerated. I am. not. kidding.

Did I mention every, single one of these scenarios is parent-condoned? Yeah ...

Are there reasons kids miss school? Absolutely. But, shouldn't the miss be a reason that is also accompanied by a plan rather than a fleeting declaration that something just isn't fun/doesn't feel good right then and there, therefore, they should not be bothered? At what point in time were we promised a life where we wouldn't have to deal with being bothered? And, where is the right given to decide what is expected and provided isn't worthy of one's time?

And, what character development is being missed by indulging such decision?

I continue to fight the good fight. Actually, there is no fight around here because the ground work was laid before there was even an awareness of blowing off any part of the school day. While I don't have the fight of this, I do have repeated conversations reminding the kids of what they're actually getting out of not skipping out. They need and deserve that kind of refuel given they're surrounded by temptation and, often, frustration. I make these refuel speeches up on the fly, though, as I have nothing from which to draw. The very idea that my parents would have reminded or even suggested to me I was going to school? I seriously can't even create such a scenario. The question wouldn't have come up from me as I valued my life. Going to school: It just was.

To fast-forward the reason for this rant, allow me to make the connection: If not for the many, many life lessons I had to go through over and over and over so as to learn, train and ingrain my behaviors and thought processes, I would have never, ever become a runner.

Running at the beginning felt an impossible task. It was hard in the bring-me-to-tears way. It was exhausting. It felt unattainable. It hurt.

But, because of what was instilled from the get go --
Because of what was expected of me --
Because of what I grew to expect of myself --

I succeed. My running may not look like anyone else's, but it's mine, and, it's successful. And I keep going because I know how to get through the hard stuff. I learned how to navigate being in a hole and digging myself out. I learned to have faith in myself. I learned all of that (and more) because the lessons started from the first time of many I wanted to stop and either wasn't allowed or realized I shouldn't. I learned way back when how to persevere.

I can't decide if I'm a little sick to my stomach or just really, super sad over what the snowflakes of today are not just missing out on now, but also what experiences may never be realized because they have no idea how to get there. That's just sad.

I'll leave it at that. See you after the morning run ...

No comments:

Post a Comment