Sunday, May 17, 2015

Kitchen Newbie

Happy Still-the-Weekend!!!

Hey, did you happen to know it's the ornament premiere weekend at your local Hallmark? Do with that information what you will.

I had to share the latest and greatest kitchen creation that we took directly from the Trim Healthy Mama people! This little number has become an absolute fave around here, so I had to pass it along!

Okay, so, like any other be-more-healthy quest, the THM directive is to get rid of such things chips. Duh. However, if I want to have taco salad for dinner, not having something crunchy for salsa or even a base kind of takes the fun out of it.

Enter: Lavash Bread.
Apparently the use-by date was a non-issue around here ...
I hadn't heard of it at all until reading the THM book. They have a handful of suggestions for its use including as a wrap for sandwiches, but my favorite use is to make crackers. Believe it or not.

And, you should believe it because it's totally true. All you do is cut the bread into squares, and microwave them on a paper plate or napkin for about a minute and fifteen seconds ...
... and, you have cracker/chips perfect for nachos, salsa or other dip!
I used mine for my guacamole ... mmm ...
Side note ... have to show you the whole bowl:
I saw this bowl a few months back and have been scouring my brain for an excuse to buy it. Mother's Day became the very excuse to splurge my $2.58, and I made guacamole. Win.

For real, these crackers are the bomb! You know that crappy feeling you have after indulging in chips and salsa because the chips are fried and, in and of themselves, made with crappy stuff? That's no problem here! Guilt-free eating? Yes, please!!

The THM people recommend half of one of the lavash breads as a serving, and it is plenty. I have only made them plain, but the book also suggests a spritz of coconut oil and sprinkle of salt to kick 'em up a notch. That would taste awesome with salsa! And, their taste? That's one of the best parts for me because this bread has very little taste at all -- I find that to be awesome because then it doesn't get in the way of whatever ingredients are put with it.

We're all in this together, so when I have a kitchen winner, I want to pass it along!! Now that I've written about them, I totally want some chips and salsa!! I must slate some for this week's dinner somewhere ...

In other slates events (like having chips and salsa is an event?), tomorrow's a day to run!! It doesn't sound especially appealing right now, but it'll be fine many hours from now! I have faith! Have a relaxing rest of your weekend, and I'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment