Friday, May 22, 2015

Faux Girl Friday!

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 497.4 (running: 344.1; walking: 20.5; biking: 132.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $40.15

2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 497.4 Aaron: 288 (b: 260.4; w: 27.6)  Elly: 90.1 Total: 875.5

It's not just Friday, it's FAUX GIRL DAY!!!! You can see Elly dressed for the occasion:
"All the fans wear the best team gear!"
This is an interesting reflection for me because it's somewhat difficult knowing where to begin. I remember back in the first days of my running when I almost thought it kind of odd to enter a race and pay to run on roads that I could run on any time. Of course, I'm all about the stuff, so as long as I thought of that, it wasn't odd to me at all. Today isn't unlike that feeling, though, the only thing different about today's run is that I decided it was different. I didn't partner up with anyone near or far. There was no one at my finish. I don't even pick up my race goods today. In many ways, it was really odd.

It was also really good, though, as it reminded me, under no uncertain terms, what I'm made of if I dig deep enough. And, today, I really had to dig. I started the run tired, and that state of mind never gets any better especially at a longer distance. During every, single one of those 13 miles, I had to come up with enough reason to ignore the feeling, pretend I wasn't so tired -- both mind and body -- and keep going ... I don't like that it started at mile 1, but, it did. I just had to accept it and make the best of it!

My strategy was to do the very best I could while enjoying as much of the scenery and beautiful weather as I could soak in. I didn't seem to miss very much ...
In the middle of my route, I capitalized on as many of the park paths as I could rather than my norm of just using one. Doing so got me closer to the water, and I was so glad I was ...
When standing there, I wasn't certain if those were frogs ...
But, I pulled in the picture and got my answer! TA-DA!!
Awwwww ...
I'm not going to lie, I was hurting a bit at this point. But, with more than half of the route behind me, I was anxious to get back to it so I could be finished!!
But not so anxious that I couldn't stop and take a pic of these!
As often happens in the last three or so miles of any Half I've run, the pictures are scarce if they exist. That's the point that I actually have a bit of running focus so as to keep moving. My brain has been bounced enough at this point that the world seems a bit glazed (I'm totally not kidding; it's almost numbing), so it's probably best I focus on my feet at that point!


Finally came the moment when I could stop. And, that was good.

Also good was coming home to my much-anticipated multi-grain crackers, cup of peaches and you-know-who:
It didn't feel awesome, but it was totally worth doing. I think this is the first time that my anticipation for upcoming rest totally and completely trumps the post-run euphoria of having done it! It took a lot to turn it around from April's Half to do this again, so I'm good with it!

The much anticipated rest is scheduled in such a way to have the first day back at it on National Running Day! That just seemed appropriate. So, there will be a couple of runs before resting ... not only do I have to shake the screaming muscles out, but there is also no way I'm leaving my running count at 497 ... gonna have to roll that over the 500 mark!!!

Before any of that, though, we did plan for a post-run celebration dinner tonight! And, the dinner bell is about to ring, so I'm off!! Give whatever you are taking on your very best, and be proud of that!! I'll be checking in on tomorrow's Rest Day ...

No comments:

Post a Comment