Monday, July 15, 2013

Subject To Change

Now, that's a picture for a Monday:
We got up early to run? Seriously. That's
for suckers. At least, that's how we feel
now. It's subject to change, though ...
I can only report that that captures ex.act.ly how we all felt about getting up to run this morning. Even the pooch was a wee-bit subdued compared to usual. In fairness, we kept her up too late as we all stayed up too late talking about absolute nonsense and laughing 'til some of us cried. If I'm going to have a crappy run, I can think of no better reason for being totally unprepared than that!

It was also mighty humid and almost 80 degrees, so we were at the limit for taking Elly. I told Pit Crew #2 from the onset of our run that we would take it really, really slow and follow Elly's lead. In other words, this was PC#2's first real education in how temperatures affect a dog and what you do to keep them safe!

And, it took Elly only a mile to start jumping in the grass for her walk breaks, so we really were at her limit. It's actually quite fascinating to watch her just live on instinct as she cruises over to the grass to cool her paws, she slows down to whatever speed she wants, then, out of nowhere, she cruises back over to the sidewalk or pavement and kicks into gear. I don't say a word during the whole process. She just does her thing.

And, while she's doing her other thing (hee hee), I spy cool stuff like this:
Come on in for a closer look; these are really cool!
In the shade, the running wasn't that bad. But, when we were in the sun's full force, that was a different story. Following PC#2's lead, I actually brought along water this morning which I don't tend to do at this mileage simply because I don't feel like holding it. But, let's face it, I don't ever feel like stretching, either, and that doesn't always serve me so well, either. So, I figured I'd learn from someone else's strategy today! And, even Elly got to benefit as I squirted some water on her mouth in between miles 2 and 3. I don't know that she particularly appreciated it seeing as that's not at all how a dog drinks, but I at least wanted her to know the option was there! (She pardoned my next offer opting to lick the dew in the grass instead.)

PC#2 and I reviewed the runner's advice I hold very near and dear in the heat ("Just cover the distance), and we accomplished our goal with treasures in hand!
For the weather, we looked MUCH better at the end of the run than the beginning. Am I right?!
Another pic? Oh, my, yes!
With that, we look forward to five miles on Wednesday, but not before having a Rest Day tomorrow!! And, tomorrow, I'll see you from the kitchen with a Hungry Girl recipe review!! Yahoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment