Tuesday, July 2, 2013

It's Just What We Do

Yes, this is where we will begin today:
Yesterday's unplanned Rest Day was crammed full of activity and goodness leaving room this morning only for complaining that it was too early. It's a good thing it wasn't a running day today! And, as tired as I am, tomorrow's run may be a complete disaster, but I don't really care. You have to restart somewhere, so I'll be all over it!

Meanwhile, I read an article today about what a disservice we do to our children when we criticize ourselves. I've seen a number of such articles in the past few months, and their points have been well stated. Basically, the theme is our children don't know what's "wrong" with us until we tell them so. (You can read what I read today here.)

I was already on board with this concept prior to reading about it as I'm not a fan of criticizing myself. At all. To anyone. Including to myself but especially not around my kids. I'm a fan of being honest with myself so as to be productive with the information, but being critical is of no service to anyone and totally unproductive. And, being unproductive doesn't sit well with me, either. 
That was one unproductive science investigation. I'm pretty sure
she was assigned something to do with the anatomy of an oyster.
You're about to read why.
(Unproductive. Lack of productivity. Makes me crazy ... Much like if I were to be told to enter a science fair. Me. The same person who asked her 10th grade Biology teacher why we had to learn the anatomy of an oyster. For real, I wanted to know. I wanted to understand how this was applicable in my world. I wasn't being a snot. I really, really wanted to know. My biology teacher really, really didn't get that I really, really wanted to know. He also never, ever gave me an answer. He just let his eyes bug out in a little bit a disbelief that I was staring at him waiting for an answer. He didn't get that I like things to make sense. By the way, it's pretty funny that I'm married to a scientist and both of the kids have won first place in their science fairs. My science investigation, however, would be unproductive. Just sayin'.)

((By the way, I learned much later in my education that a key to learning is being able to relate to the information. You know, like when someone asks, "Why -- for real -- do I need to know about the anatomy of an oyster?" because that person is trying to figure out how to relate and reapply that info. That person was very wise and way ahead of her time. Just. Sayin'.))

As a parent, I'm not a critic. Instead, I'm more of a brainwasher, and boy did that come into play with running. Once I mapped out my own what-do-I-want-out-of-running philosophy, I said it loud and proud and got everyone who would listen on board for me. (See? Brain-wash-ing ... It made sense to me to define how running was going to go for me, so I went for it.) I've always made it clear I am not going to win a race, but I make it even more clear that that doesn't matter. I cheer my own victories because I want others to cheer them no matter what they are. I report when a run or a race is good; I do not ask opinions of my results. I'm also perfectly fine with reporting when a run totally blows; I state such a thing factually, clearly and with the understanding that that's how it sometimes goes, and I'll be back at it the next scheduled day. Support matters to me, especially that of my family, so everyone has an important (Pit Crew!) place in this activity giving the support its own brand of staying power. Put all of this together, and it's just what we do. It's a total package. Nothing fancy. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I do know, though, that I drove this machine especially in my own house. I wanted to be supported, so I created an environment to support. I want support, not sympathy, so I have never brought self-pity into the equation. Family and friends don't ever hear me put down a race outcome. They won't see me hang my head about anything. You won't be suprised to know my family hears all the time from me that I totally rock. The following is a common, household exchange: "How was the run, Mom?" "I totally rocked it, thank you for asking." I don't even blink. It just is.

Isn't it totally cool that we get to decide how we are seen? Okay, yes, there are plenty of critics out there. But, so what. They're probably not in your circle of friends anyway. I'm talking about the people who matter -- those from whom you actually want support. Yup, they tend to take their leads from you, so, make sure you are your biggest fan!

And, tomorrow, we run! And, by we, I mean all of the girls! PC#2, Elly and I hit it tomorrow for four! We'll let you know how it all went after! You can already bet we'll cheer each other along the way ... because, I decided long ago, that's just what you do! See you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment