Friday, July 12, 2013

Only NOTHING

I had a really fun conversation yesterday with my dear friend Mary Kate (our upcoming virtual partner!) about our current running adventures. I love hearing how things are going for her from afar! Swapping stories keeps each others' efforts fresh on our brains which leads to us thinking about the other while we're running. And, then it's like we're running together even though we're not at all. But, we are ...

Follow that?

She unintentionally brought up a topic that I tend to jump on when I hear it, so I'm bringing it forth today. Ready? I want to drop to the floor and writhe around like a fish out of water when I hear someone put "only" in front of what they did that day for exercise. Seriously. It bugs.

There. I said it.

Stop. The. Madness.
Have I ever done it since starting running? I must come clean, yes I have. I believe I tried it on for size a couple of times post-first Half Marathon before I realized what I was doing. Everyone has his or her own reasons for disclaiming their efforts with an only. For me, I wanted to separate what had come easier for me from when I thought I wanted some semblance of kudos for the bigger miles. And, I'm also pretty sure I wanted to plant the seed of "this distance is an only as compared to when I ..."

Barf.

Seriously, I just read my own line of thinking and got a little queasy. It's precisely the way I heard it the last time it came out of my mouth which is why I've stopped. Think about it: Did that person asking what I did that morning need to hear I only did x-number of miles regardless of what I did yesterday or will do tomorrow as though they honestly give a crap about my weekly or lifetime totals? OR Did I just put down or put off that person who may never run a day in his or her life? OR Did I just put down my own efforts by answering this question to someone who breathlessly runs miles around me because I "know" they are judging me ... even if they're not?

Let's reflect:

When I first started running, I couldn't run two-tenths of a mile without having to walk. And, I was totally out of breath. True story. Every step counts, they all add up, and they all matter. Tell that Nancy that it was only two-tenths of a mile. Or, don't because she might punch you.

It took me 5 months to train for my first 5K during which I not only had to walk twice but also almost threw up right before the 3-mile mark. Bravo to everyone who goes three miles!!

I cried during and after more than one training run trying to reach the 10K distance. I sang (out loud and poorly ... for real) verses of "Jesus Loves Me" after the 5-mile mark of my first 10K to remind myself that even though I was lumbering along hoping to not fall down while my legs started to quiver that I was, in fact, good enough as a person even though I felt like a total poser as a runner. A six-mile run is to be congratulated!

In any way, shape or form being critical of anyone who takes on 13.1 miles no matter their pace? Unheard of from this kid!

Putting myself down because on any given day I'm doing my thing my way while so many others are running faster and longer and for more days of the week? That's just crazy talk!

Every step, pedal and shimmy is worthy of celebration no matter what it is you are doing to keep yourself moving, and I totally mean that.

And, this morning, I celebrate my girl whose schedule prevented her from running yesterday, so she did so today. She ran her scheduled two miles while Elly and I walked with her. Elly and I totally cut corners and strolled. It was fabulous. Elly still received and appreciated the end-of-movement celebratory hug:
I couldn't run two miles when I was her
age. Either her. Seriously, the dog cruises
better than I did as a kid. So proud of my
girls this morning!
Tomorrow's another big run for Pit Crew #2 as she takes on 7 miles! Hopefully, I can take Elly with me on my first miles before picking her up! Then, the weather will dictate how we take on PC#2's goal, but no matter what, we'll accomplish it together!! We'll see you after!

No comments:

Post a Comment