Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Let's GO! ...

Ahhh ... finally!

That it has taken almost three days to recap GO! is completely indicative of my little slice of the world right now! In fact, it's exactly what I was talking about before the race -- I hardly had time to think about the fact that it was coming, and, now that it's over, it feels way back in my rear view mirror! However, it's not only in my mind's eye, it was of course caught in pictures! Here we go!

Okay, so, given I didn't put a lot of mental preparation into this race, I realized I should look at the race like this: I prayed that God would take over my run and use it to teach me whatever it is I am supposed to learn from it. I had no idea what I was to learn, but I wanted this run to show me something. I only hoped I would understand at the end. But, even if I didn't, I knew I needed to not worry about it and just GO ...

We woke up Sunday morning to a 40-degree morning and a storm blowing in. The forecast indicated a 65% chance of rain by 9 a.m. Pit Crew #2 gave me the news which is when I said to the family, "Well. I guess I'd better plan on getting wet." We stepped outside to dark clouds, wind and sprinkling, so, naturally, I stopped everyone for some pictures. Duh.
Sleepy me sporting my new hat from Friday's Expo! I bought
it when I heard someone say something about the possibility of
rain during our race. Mama's not running in the rain without a
hat, people!
Seriously, check out the sky ...
Near the starting line, I spied with my little eye the race scene that always, always makes me laugh:
It's really not that it's so funny that there are such long lines for the porta potties. I've been there myself! But, something about it still makes me giggle. My body totally cooperated this race morning by getting me out of bed before 6 a.m. to start the system cleaning-out process. Thank you, body!

Soon came the send-off hugs and kisses, and I joined the ranks. As usual, I put myself a corral behind where I think I'll end up just in case I (or my body) decide that today is not the day to expend that much effort! For once, though, even those of us farther back could hear the announcer and the National Anthem! That hardly ever happens which is exactly why I started taking pictures in the corrals. You know. The usual ...
There weren't a lot of good clusters of shoes, so I went for my
favorite ones. I think I might like to find these for myself ...
And, there's always someone interesting in the crowd ...
... They're just not always looking at me when I take the picture! There were two sets of firemen in the corral. Seeing them run in full gear is something. As if they're not impressive enough with what they do? Sheesh!

Go time came upon us pretty quick. I really didn't stretch as well as I usually do in the corrals, but that was neither here nor there when they were ready to send us off. So, I saw this ...
... while the fam saw this!
OF COURSE there's a tiger running the race.
Ready or not, I crossed the timing strip, and we were off!
I wasn't so good with the focus on this one!
As we started, I prayed again for God to just take it, and take it He did. By far, this was the most chill Half I have ever done. I never, ever saw a pacer which was kind of nice. I didn't know until much later in the run how I was doing in terms of time, and it was nice not to hear the normal chatter about it around me. I just ran my own race listening to only what I wanted to do without challenging it against a clock.

The route goes over a bridge into Illinois. There's always such a deal made about a course having a bridge, but I'm not usually impressed. The scenery is often obstructed by rails and/or retaining walls, but I have to admit this bridge wasn't that bad:
Hi, me!
Almost immediately after crossing the bridge (that hundreds are runners were shaking to the point the light posts rocked. True story.), we went under this one and into one of the worst sewer smells ever:
There's nothing quite like taking those deep, running breaths when you can taste the nasty air. Just sayin'.

Out and around we went finding ourselves back on the bridge heading into Missouri:
Sometimes, my pictures in motion rule.
I was glad for the bridge challenge to end simply because of the more sustained inclines it provides from the on-ramps. They're not big, they're just annoying. Fortunately, they are child's play as compared to my training routes, so I just visualized where I'd already been-there-done-that, and they were nothing. Things were definitely going my way!

I missed the majority of mile markers along the route. That's always a fun thing for me because when I do finally see one, it's usually well past where I thought I was! While I missed those, I did see some fun things along the way:
I am at the back side of the overpass turn
here. So, I was just where the people up
top are. I love when these loops are that
short (as opposed to being up top and seeing
people below who are -- unbeknownst to
me -- at least a mile away!)!
Every race needs a couple of super heroes.
I enjoyed a few signs I'd never before seen ...
... and, I loved the guy giving the thumbs up!

The last five miles of this route can be a grind because of the very, long stretches of nothingness. But, this time, I didn't have an issue. I just ... went. I did hear someone check in on his time right at Mile 8, and we were on a pace that both surprised me (in a good way) and inspired me. I figured it was a good idea to use that guy as a pacer just in case I started to mentally wane. I didn't feel tethered to it, it was just a good time to dig into the tool box and use what I could to keep going in a way I would later be proud of.

None of my mental coaching prevented me from seeing the ever-loyal crowd in Soulard:
I not only saw this guy, but his offerings made me a little queasy to look at:
They offered beer, too. Um, ewww.
This was at Mile 10 or so. Hey, do you
know what sounds awful after running
10 miles with 3 to go? Guess ...
Before I knew it, I was at Mile 12 and feeling really good! The last one is the hardest, though, and I'm often surprised in either direction as to how I'm going to feel. Last year on this course, I made a huge mistake second-guessing where the turn to 13 was, so the last mile was painfully long in my brain. This year, I kept telling myself to just keep going until otherwise directed. No guessing. No looking for the turn. Just. Keep. Going.

And, it totally worked. In fact, it came upon me before I knew it because I wouldn't allow myself to assume where it was. The next thing I knew, I was flashing a 1 and a 4 to the Crew signifying my 14th Half finish, and I crossed the line in a great time for me, only 5 minutes longer than last year's PR! BOOM.
I was stoked with my finish because of how I felt (awesome), happy to see my fam (always) and thrilled that my hat seemed to repel the rain from even falling until about an hour after I finished! Good for me; sucked for the marathoners!

So, glory to God on this one. I wasn't sure I was mentally ready to do this, but I did know I was physically prepared. I was peaceful, I was strong, and I finished in a way that was good for me. It proved I could let go and trust. It's a great way to feel!

Stay tuned as the big weekend recap continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment