Friday, May 18, 2012

Too Much Lime Makes Me Whine

Say it with me ... T.G.I.F.!!!!!! Ahhhhhhh ...

Okay, with no running today, I have the two updates I promised from the resistance work to the kitchen. Here we go!

Resistance training: It's been two weeks, and during both, I maintained the Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule. That, in and of itself, is a victory. Any time you incorporate something new into your world -- especially something you never thought you would -- and stick to it, celebrate that! (*insert mini applause here!*) In two weeks, I've been very quick about progressing in the level of resistance for my legs, and I've made progress, albeit it significantly slower, with my upper body. Frankly, I'm at different levels of resistance in the "all over the place" way, and in realizing how "real" that is, I thought I would share. The main point is I can tell it is a solid part of my plan herein.

Phase one: Commit to the effort. Check!

From the kitchen: So, the other night, I spent a great deal of time scouring the internet looking for new recipes and healthy recipe tips. I came across one that sounded promising for roasted chickpeas, so I gave it a whirl! Here we go:
Why chickpeas? Because they're crazy good
for you, that's why! Bravo on the protein,
chickpeas! I hate 'em straight out of the can,
so the idea of roasting them was very appealing.
You're supposed to roast them at 375 degrees for 35 minutes
making sure to turn them every 10 minutes. Mine weren't as
crunchy as I was hoping after 35 minutes, so I went another 15.
That was much better.
While they're roasting, cut yourself 2 limes (aren't they lovely?).
Mix the juice of those limes with 1 tablespoon of salt (I didn't
use a full tablespoon, btw ... seemed a bit much, and I'd like to
reserve my salt intake for my new best friend margarita) and
one tablespoon of oil. Look how fast I'm whipping that. It's like
watching me when I run ... can't even see me I'm so fast. (hee hee)
Once roasted, the chickpeas need to take a bath in the lime juice
blend. I didn't even wait for them to cool, just plopped them
right on in there.
Out they come all coated. I didn't really think there would be
that much taste on them. I was wrong! ...
You know that saying how you win some and you lose some? This one goes in the latter category! You want to know what was wrong with it? WAY too much lime in such a little package!! I ate 4 of them and have had a stomach ache for about an hour. It's like a lime bomb, and even like lime! The whole thing was just wrong. It's not even one of those recipes where I'd know what to tweak. It just didn't do it for me. But, that's cool because it's one less recipe I have to remember exists ...

So, the chickpeas will remain my vehicle for hummus (mmm ... yummy hummus ...), and we'll leave the lime taste to the margaritas!
Our little bottle was almost gone, so we
got a bigger size ... yes, they're that good!
(They go great with those chicken taquitos
I told you about -- that's what's in the bowl!)
Tomorrow's a long run, so I need to map that out! I'll see you after!

No comments:

Post a Comment