Monday, May 7, 2012

Oh, What a Difference a Day Makes!

The promise of a cool down for today was not an empty one, and that drop in temperature was very welcomed for the morning run! It was double-welcomed because it meant I could take Elly! Hurray!
Hooray for the clouds that helped drop the
temperature! Of course, they're the same
ones that rained on us for a bit ... but, that
actually felt kind of good!
And, oh, what a difference there was in my run today from yesterday! In truth, this one should have been a wee-bit weary because I ran longer yesterday. But, the simple fact is: Temperature affects the run. Period. Big time.

This is a lesson that's been hard to learn. I remember I was going along just fine with my first-ever Half Marathon training when one July morning BAM. Things weren't operating as expected. My pace was sluggish. I was struggling to the point that no level of denial could push away the reality. I remember thinking I might have to concede that running wasn't for me after all. Mentally, I was borderline defeated.

I remember coming home from that outing all bummed out and reporting to Aaron that the run was awful to which he replied (something close to), "No wonder. It's hot out there!" Like, "Duh ..."

I've repeated this pattern a handful of times in the past couple of years -- the pattern being beating myself up for what I deem a poor performance before  taking into account what it is I'm up against in terms of temperature. The moral of the story: That's just silly.

Only recently have I actually accepted I cannot (and should not!) push through the hotter temperatures as though they do not exist. And, by embracing that fact and tweaked my plans to work with them (how early I head out, water I bring, the pace I use, the expectations I have of myself), I've enjoyed runs that would have otherwise turned into tears (April's Half Marathon anyone? That would have been a disaster for me had I not taken the sudden warmer temperature and humidity into consideration!).

Now is the time to remember the heat lesson as we are right on the edge of Summer fun!

So, while I took it a whole lot easier yesterday in the heat, Elly and I cruised right along today without issue. Elly had to stop 800 times ... okay, 8. Eight times in four miles. Really?  To be honest, I got to the point that I was kind of hoping she'd be a total overachiever and stop 9 so throw the stops-per-miles average higher. But, she didn't care about my stupid math and settled for an even ratio of 2:1. Good news, though, we found a dime!
"Yeah, we did! And, do you know why we found that dime,
Mommy? It had a little something to do with one of those
pit stops you got crabby about! I'd say I'm sorry. But, I'm not."
So, the run resulted in Elly being a bit sassy and in my having some very scary hair:
An excellent look for sure! Goes with the
really ugly brown shirt.
It's time to chill tomorrow! See you on Rest Day!

3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah - you definitely write for me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no words for my gratitude! You are the best running partner! And I never have to worry about pace!,

    ReplyDelete