Sunday, May 6, 2012

Smaller Than a Breadbox Saves the Day

Hooray!! It's summer time!! Right? Wait ... what? It's not?! Um, I THINK SO after the heat of the morning! Check me out, I was all gross right at mile 1!!!
Felt oh-so-gross and slimey way too early
on this one!
Okay, OKAY, I know it's not yet summer ... but when it's 71 degrees right off the bat and really thick with humidity, I have to say I spent a lot of time today running disappointed knowing that the end of the run would not result in a plunge in the pool because, you know, it's not yet summer!!

I headed out today with the new plan in place ... 6 miles today increasing the miles each weekend back up to 10 -- much like the Half Marathon training schedule I use. Once I hit 10, I'll go backward each week until I hit 7 (so, 7, 8, 9, 10, 9, 8, 7 ...) then back up again. It's like a seesaw (but not as awesome on the fun scale). I used this plan after my last Half going from 3 miles to 5 then back down to 3, and it worked great to get myself to 5 miles in a very routine way. In reviewing my current status and where I want the challenge, I've determined that my challenge spot is somewhere between miles 8 and 9 ... you know, those where I'm pretty sure I blank out when I'm ultimately going double-digit miles. So, that's the plan. Plan B is that I use this pattern but hold it at 9. Honestly, that will be determined by my mood. I'd love to say there is a different, really profound reason for Plan B. Nope. Mood. Works for me!

So, I trotted on and have to tell you that my speed from mile 1 to mile 2 probably barely counted as a jog (still counted, but barely!). I quickly realized I really needed to make sure I was in tune to how the temperature was affecting me, and the way I've learned to become one with the elements (therefore, not hurting myself or otherwise passing out from heat exhaustion) is to just ... slow ... down ... Once everything gets in sync, my muscles take over and put me on pace. It works, it keeps me safe, and I've learned to trust it.

I've also learned that keeping my eyes peeled for pennies results in really fun finds! (It also results in seeing a lot ... and I do mean a lot ... of road kill right now, but let's move on ...) So, for the fun reveal, it's quiz time!

Question: What's bigger than a quarter, smaller than a bread box, and under no circumstances should be in my pocket even if it fit?

Answer:
Check him out!! He was cruising along on
a pretty busy street, but I have to give him
credit for walking against the traffic.

Hello, you!
With no curb cut in sight and a blind corner coming, I had to
rescue him. Off he went, and so did I!
That was a fun little distraction! What's cool is I got another show 3 miles later!
Hey, look!
I liked that this one had stuff on his backside!
Not as shy as the previous turtle, I was able to get a good look
at his fabulous face! Into the shaded grass I put him, and we were
both on our ways! Just a mile and a half to go for me ... thank
goodness!! I was sizzlin'!!
I'm going to be honest when I say if not for my turtle friends, this run would have been pretty miserable. I even took my water bottle with me, and thank goodness I did!! By the time I hit mile 5, I had a choice to make: Drink the last 2 ounces right then; pour the last 2 ounces over my very hot head, or save the rest until I finished the 6th mile because I had a half mile walk home from my finish spot and would really want water then. This is not a normal issue on a 6-mile run as I usually don't even need to take water with me at that distance! I chose to save it for the end, but it was a difficult choice. In the meantime, you can see I not only had water issues, I also had sweat-in-the-eye issues!
Ouch - ouch - ouch - ouch - sting!!!
While very pleased to have stuck to the plan I made, I was not sorry in the least when this run was finished. Just. Sayin'. I hit mile 6, stopped running, drank my last bit of warm (bleh!) water and immediately upon hitting the door to my house, I grabbed the post-run replenishers!
Two-fisting the water while having some grapes. Nature's
energy rules. Mmmm ...
With my miles in the tank, I am hopeful for the promised cool-down tomorrow! Of course, that cool-down is supposed to come with rain, so I might be cranking it out on the treadmill! Either way, I'll see you after the morning run!





No comments:

Post a Comment