Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Joplin

Today I remember the people of Joplin, MO, as it is one year ago that an EF5 tornado ripped through their community leaving behind incomprehensible destruction.

It jumped at the opportunity to participate in a benefit run for Joplin last July. I was thankful for the opportunity to do something for them. Anything. One of my favorite race moments happened during that run as I passed by a volunteer directing us on the course. I thanked him for pointing me in the right direction as I stumbled through those 6 miles in the very sudden onslaught of heat and humidity. Immediately, he replied, "Thank you. I grew up in Joplin." I was immediately humbled that my participation in that run actually mattered to someone. I mean, really mattered.

It is my understanding that this particular run raised thousands of dollars, all of which went to the recovery efforts because everything required to facilitate the race was donated. Everything. People are good.

Don't you love when you take on an endeavor for one reason only to find out that the initial, common interest can be parlayed into something bigger and better?! For all of the runs I've done, this is one of my favorites. You wouldn't have known it by seeing me at the finish line. But, it was.

My thoughts and prayers are still with you in Joplin.

No comments:

Post a Comment