Monday, May 28, 2012

The Freedom In Running

To begin, I must note that today is for reflection. And, for thanks.
Blessed are we who are free.
Thank you to all who afford us that gift.
I thought of the freedom I enjoy many, many times during this morning's run in direct relation to the fact that I was out there and allowed to do so. That might sound weird, but check this out -- it's only been 40 years (40: that's it) that women have been allowed to officially participate in the Boston Marathon even though it originated in 1897. It was in 1966 that a rogue woman runner went the distance after having hid in the bushes in order to start. The following year, the first woman to run with a race number entered and finished (Katherine Switzer), but she received her number only because she registered using her first and middle initials (therefore, no one knew she wasn't male), and her participation was physically challenged by a race official at the start line. These challenges to women for wanting to run, for crying out loud, are beyond my comprehension. But, I have to include that I am so thankful for the freedom they had to challenge.

That's how I started my Memorial Day.

It's so hard to imagine that the opportunity to run and partipate in a race would not be afforded to anyone. I do it all the time without even thinking about it (unless it's thinking about how much that run might hurt or that I'm tired!). No, I am fortunate to get to think about whatever I want along the way, and I take full advantage of doing so!
I was stoked to find this very beaten up nickel right after I sent
out the following vibe: "C'mon, money-makin' stretch, don't let
me down!" And, it didn't! Doesn't its condition make you
wonder if someone tossed it away as useless? WHAT. EVER.
Come to mama!
About a quarter of a mile later, I was excited! Then, upon
closer inspection, I wasn't. Drat!
I purposely routed my way to a local garden shop because I was
looking for more of a flower I'd gotten there and liked. It seems
I wasn't the only one who liked them because they were out. But,
that saved us a trip in the car, and I saw my very favorite color
of petunia. Aren't the light yellow ones luscious? I think so.
I was heading out of the garden area when I realized that if I
took a different exit, I could pass by the cashier stand ... and
that is a good place to scope for pennies! I found none, but I
did see this fun little flower cart! Seriously, how cute is that?
That view is probably worth whatever penny I would have found.
Ah, but the coin gods were still smiling on me because check
out what I found at mile 3.5! That's a quarter, baby!
Hot and sweaty and oh-so-thirsty, I finished up. Thirty one cents
richer, too! Booyah!
I came home, chugged two bottles of water and hopped on the Total Gym where I learned a good lesson: Do not start your circuit training with squats when you just chugged two bottles of water. That sloshy-sloshy going on in your stomach is going to hurt if not be productive. Fortunately, I only experienced the former sensation ... even though it wasn't sensational ...

With another run in the books plus a 2-mile walk with the junior Crewers to add to their 26.2 Challenge, the day calls for some down time! Hooray for Total Rest Day tomorrow! I'll see you then.


No comments:

Post a Comment