Saturday, June 18, 2016

Use Your Wings

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 401.3 (running: 328.2 walking: 34.1; biking: 36.2) Elly's miles: 177.3  Money Found For Food Bank: $54.83

Summer 2016 Ultimate Pool Volleyball Championship - Best of 101:
Me: 13 Pit Crew #2: 7

The heat broke just enough for our morning run to not feel like we were dying a slow death. Sound dramatic? Then, you weren't outside earlier this week ... Anyway, Pit Crew #2 and I got ourselves up early to get out there this lovely Saturday morning. It was nice to start the day with my girl, a solid run and a little quiet time to ourselves!
 
We were chatting it up between ourselves when we came upon a creature on the sidewalk:
I love his bed head!
He just stood there on the sidewalk while his mama stayed in the tree above squawking her head off like a fool:
You can't see her in this pic, but you do see
Junior there. Just looking up.
At first, PC#2 and I noted that she really must want us to get away from her baby. Then I suggested that she might simply be yelling at him, "Don't just sit there! USE YOUR WINGS!"

We all need such a reminder sometimes, don't we? I remember listening to Steve Harvey talk about parenting when he said his wife uses the following phrase when one of the kids acts unable: "Honey, your wings work." Since hearing it, I've used it on my kids a couple of times. PC#2 had that 'knowing' look on her face when I observed that that might be exactly what mama bird was squawking to her sidewalk baby.

I love my little birds. I'm so glad this one keeps on going with me:
And, tomorrow? There's no running as we celebrate the big man!

No comments:

Post a Comment