Thursday, June 16, 2016

Still Going!

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 397.1 (running: 324 walking: 34.1; biking: 36.2) Elly's miles: 177.3  Money Found For Food Bank: $54.55

Summer 2016 Ultimate Pool Volleyball Championship - Best of 101:
Me: 12 Pit Crew #2: 7

The running schedule has continued, but most of the rest of my world is not in any kind of order! That's okay. That's what Summer does.

And, holy moly, has the heat HIT!! I did sneak in an early and short run with Elly Tuesday morning ...
... but, I knew within that first mile that this is the last run for her until this heat breaks. We cut it at two miles and weren't sad to do so!

Yesterday, Pit Crew #2 planned to run while I got up early to work and take a Rest Day as we planned to run together today. So, I was up early and hugely productive while PC#2 fully immersed herself in the Summer schedule and ... skipped the run! Some days, it's really okay to just blow it off and indulge in a little extra shut-eye! We were accountable to each other this morning, though ...
Misery loved company. I have no idea what the temperature was besides Holy Crap This Sucks. The air was thick making it difficult to take a deep breath. It was that kind of morning! For a three-mile run, we still took water and sported our cooling towels. Three-milers don't tend to require special equipment, so, that tells you something!

I've never run with PC#2 when it was this hot, so she got a lesson in just covering the distance however that happens safely. That meant a couple of walk breaks she didn't expect and a pace that would otherwise annoy even me. Before my first Half Marathon, I was taught by a very seasoned runner that, in this kind of weather, your only goal is to cover the distance. Period. No speed, no pushing it, check your ego at the door, just be safe. I'm a big fan of pacing my run in a way that supports the rest of my day, too, so there was no way I was going to let the heat drain me only to zap the rest of my day. (I saved that for when we went to the pool ... even that was barely refreshing!!)

So, we trotted the neighborhood and got 'er done. That was more than good enough for me!!

This heat is supposed to break to the tune of dropping about 10 degrees in the next few days. Given the temperature is sitting at 100, that's not really inspiring! But! We will go forth! We're resting up tomorrow for Saturday's long run! I might not have it all together, but I have at least figured this out! We'll check in after our outing!

No comments:

Post a Comment